Sunday, January 11, 2009

Petitions of St. Augustine

Lord Jesus, let me know myself; let me know You,
And desire nothing else but You.
Let me hate myself and love You,
And do all things for Your sake.
Let me humble myself and exult You,
And think nothing else but You.
Let me die to myself and live in You,
And take whatever happens as coming from You.
Let me forsake myself and walk after You,
And ever desire to follow You.
Let me flee from myself and turn to You,
That so I may merit to be defended by You.
Let me fear for myself, let me fear You,
And be among those that are chosen by You.
Let me distrust myself and trust in You,
And ever obey for the love of You.
Let me cleave to nothing but You,
And ever be poor because of You.
Look upon me that I may love You,
Call me, that I may see You,
And forever possess You, for all eternity.
Amen
(from 1959 Saint Joseph Daily Missal)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had the St Joseph’s Sunday missal and these petitions were a balm to my soul...memorized them and would knell by my bed at night and recite them! Love seeing them here.Teresa