Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A prayer for year-end to New Year

I found the following prayer, the prayer of an unknown Confederate soldier (1865), from the online book 2000 Years of Prayer compiled by Michael Counsell, which I think it might be appropriate for a year-end into New Year praying mood:

I asked for strength that I might achieve;
I was made weak that I might learn humbly to obey.
I asked for health that I might do great things;
I was given infirmity that I might do better things.
I asked for riches that I might be happy;
I was given poverty that I may be wise.
I asked for power that I might have the praise of men;
I was given weakness that I might feel the need of God.
I asked for all things that I might enjoy life;
I was given life that I might enjoy all things.
I got nothing that I had asked for,
but everything that I had hoped for.
Almost despite myself my unspoken prayers were answered;
I am, among all men, most richly blessed.


No comments: