Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Surfing at night

I don't know what to make of it about this news: surfing at night! According to www.3news.co.nz:

Australian big wave surfer Mark Visser has had the ride of this life at the infamous Jaws of Maui.

And just to make it a little more interesting, Visser rode the giant waves at night.

The 28-year-old says he spent two years planning his quest to become the first person to surf the 12 metre high waves in complete darkness.

“I probably surfed this wave over and over about a thousand times in my head but the real thing was nothing like it. My heart has just been pounding for last week leading up to it so stoked I’m still here. One of the most awesome things I’ve ever done in my life,” says Visser.

Visser had LED lights inserted onto his board and a life jacket to make it easier to find him after a wipe out.

Here's the news video: Aussie surfs giant waves - at night - 3 Sport - Video - 3 News.

I guess it's just a matter of something new and different and he is the first to do it. I was simply impressed by the surfer's comments: “I probably surfed this wave over and over about a thousand times in my head but the real thing was nothing like it."

Yes, indeed, the real thing was nothing like it! I think this can particularly also apply to freaque wave research, although not many will accept it. No matter how well do you conjecture about how the freaque wave was supposed to have happening out there, but the real thing was nothing like it!




No comments: