Monday, September 17, 2012

A wave for the rescue -- happened in Stornoway, Scotland

I find what had happened in this story today, as published in the, is unique and almost unbelievable:
Published on Monday 17 September 2012 00:00
A 72-YEAR-OLD lone Scottish sailor swept overboard by a 30-ft wave off the country’s north-west coast said he was “lucky to be alive”.
Retiree Gerry Beard arrived safely back on dry land at Stornoway, on the Isle of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides, at about 3:30am yesterday after a harrowing rescue operation that lasted 14 hours.
He had been sailing home from Iceland’s capital Reykjavik to Shieldaig, in Wester Ross, to complete an 11-day journey when trouble struck in rough Atlantic waters about 40 miles north of the Butt of Lewis.
Mr Beard was attempting to open the hatch on his 29-ft yacht Meris when a giant wave struck, knocking him into the water and damaging the cabin door in the process.
Last night Mr Beard said he believed he had been over-prepared for the voyage but could have never predicted the severity of the conditions.
He said the waves that threatened his life had “come out of nowhere and engulfed the vessel,” leaving it half full of water.
He added: “I feel lucky to be alive.”
The experienced mariner, who escaped the incident without injury, was thrown back on board by another wave before activating his vessel’s emergency position indicating radio beacon (EPIRB).
A seven-person Stornoway lifeboat team and a search-and-rescue helicopter responded to the distress call at about 1:30pm on Saturday.
The helicopter took an hour to reach the stricken vessel where its crew kept an eye on the sailor until the lifeboat arrived at about 5pm.
It took almost 11 hours for the waterlogged yacht to be towed back to Stornoway where Mr Beard will spend several days repairing his boat.
Stornoway Lifeboat Coxswain Murdo Campbell described the weather conditions as wild.

I am not certain if that's not a rare thing, the writer did not seemed to regard it as a big deal.  But I was struck by this paragraph:
The experienced mariner, who escaped the incident without injury, was thrown back on board by another wave before activating his vessel's emergency position indicating radio beacon (EPIRB). 
He "was thrown back on board by another wave!"  That's not a big deal?  Waves routinely can swept people off board, that's not a surprise, but another wave thrown him back!?!  Of course it is entirely conceivable, one wave swept him out another wave thrown him back on to the boat.  What's the big deal? But did that ever have happened before?  I don't know the answer, no matter what, I said the happening is unique and unbelievable -- at least that should be rare happenings in my opinion -- rarer, much rarer, than any freaque wave happenings. The 72 years old sailor in this story, Mr. Beard, said  “I feel lucky to be alive.”  That's certainly not an under statement.  He should thank God, may be more closer, to thank his Guardian Angel for this rare happening.  Since this really has happened, I can only say I am very, very happy for Mr. Beard.  Hope every one being swept off the deck can expect to meet another wave, at the right place and right time, to throw the one back on board!

No comments: