Tuesday, March 24, 2009

"The Great Global Warming Swindle"

This 74 minutes documentary film, "The Great Global Warming Swindle", is my all time favorite film. I think it should be the best of the best all time scientific documentary ever. Thankfully the producer has chosen to make the film freely available online for everyone to see for good reasons. The most fundamental reason would be for the scientific merit it carries. I first watched it and liked it immediately two years ago when it was premiered on U.K.'s Channel 4 and available on the internet shortly after. Today I watched it again and I like it even more. I post it here as a blog entry simply for the convenience that I could readily watch it again and again.

I know 74 minutes represent a large chunk of time for today's busy persons, unlike an emeritus person like me. But the beauty of internet is that you don't have to watch it all at once. You can always watch part of it, and come back later and watch it again. Believe me, it will well worth of your time.

I also hesitate to recommend my former colleagues watching this at work. Because the current scientific culture regarding global warming or climate change is not amendable for alternative view points. Global warming or climate change have become more religious than science. Younger scientists generally don't have the liberty to think about real science. Nevertheless, I encourage them to watch it at home and after works. Again, it is well worth your time. A phrase comes to my mind is "Truth will set you free!" (John, 8:32)

So watch it here now!

P.S.

In the two years since the release of the film, because of the controversial nature it has subjected to all kinds of complains and criticisms, most of them are of minor, hair-splitting kinds, the film stands on its own ground firmly. See for instance those discussed in Wikipedia. Of particular interest is that there were at least 19 world renown scientists appeared in the film, only two seemed to have second thoughts. While Eigil Friis-Christensen clamoring about different interpretations of the data, Carl Wunch complained about a familiar tone of being misled. To this respect the program responded:
But we told him we were going to explore the issues of the counter argument to global warming and he got the same letter as everyone else, and no-one else claimed they didn't know what they'd be appearing on.
Of course no one would ever admit it to the possible influence under the tyrannical hierarchy through peer pressure, lucrative funding, and other tricks. While the film explored science issues, the topic has sadly been out of the science realm long time ago and working scientists have very little scientific liberty left in the face of government-special interests axis!

No comments: