Monday, March 16, 2009

Two happenings over the weekend

A couple of news items that kept freaque waves in the news. First reported by KITV of Honolulu yesterday:
A fisherman died in rough seas on Saturday.

Rescue crews battled wind, rain, cold temperatures and big surf trying to find the missing man.

It was about 8 a.m. that a 25-foot Proline fishing boat ran into trouble. Honolulu Fire department rescue crews got the call of a man overboard.

Marina patrol officials said the vessel was heading out on the Portlock side of Maunalua Bay when it was hit by a rogue wave.

"They tried to turn the boat around to rescue him, but apparently they lost sight of him in rough waters out there. During the course of trying to rescue him, one of the other fishermen jumped in, tried to stay with him, but somehow they got separated," Honolulu Police Department Lt. Gerrit Kurihara said.

Harbor marina officers assisted the fire department in getting divers and HFD's helicopter to the area where the man was last seen.
The rescue crews managed to find the missing fisherman. Police said the missing 62-year-old man was initially described as "extremely critical" and was to be taken to Straub Hospital, but died before arriving there.

God bless his soul!

Then a half way across the globe in Wales News today:

A SURFER was hailed a hero yesterday after saving a dog walker swept into the sea by a freak wave.

The unnamed 44-year-old pet owner, thought to be from Caerau, near Maesteg, was walking his dog along the breakwater pier at Port Talbot when a huge wave engulfed them and sent the pair into the icy waters of the Bristol Channel.

A Sea King search and rescue helicopter from RAF Chivenor in Devon and the South Wales Police helicopter were sent to help the crew of Port Talbot’s Royal National Lifeboat Institution D-Class rigid inflatable vessel in the operation.

But it was a surfer enjoying yesterday morning’s bright sunshine who plucked the man to safety.

Thank God for the unnamed surfer. I have walked a number of times along a breakwater pier at different places before. I thank the Almighty God for kept the freaque waves away when I was there. Otherwise I probably won't be here blogging. Deo Gratias!

No comments: